Young Playwrights Project Submission Guidelines
PLAYGROUND’S 2019 YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS CONTEST
PlayGround invites Bay Area high school students, grades 9-12, to submit short plays per the following guidelines for consideration in the 2019 Young Playwrights Contest. The top four playwrights will receive professional public staged readings of their winning short works as part of the Best of PlayGround Festival this May, 2019 at Potrero Stage.
The following are the guidelines for script submissions for PlayGround’s 2019 Young Playwrights Contest. To be eligible, writers must currently attend high school in one of the nine Bay Area counties.
Topic: ADAPT A FAIRY TALE
Please indicate the name of a single fairy tale you’ve chosen to adapt (and its ethnic origin, if known) on the cover page of your script. A few thoughts: avoid use of the direct “narrator” (i.e., telling rather than showing); consider who’s story it is and how your adaptation reinforces or changes the traditional perspective; why this story and why now? Avoid multiple scenes with blackouts. Keep the story and action as continuous as possible. Have FUN!
1. Scripts, maximum ten pages doubled-spaced, initiated on or after Wednesday, January 16, 2019 and inspired by the topic (see above), must be RECEIVED by 11:59pm on Monday, April 8, 2019.
2. You must include a cover page (not included in the ten-page max.) with your name and contact information, and including a complete detailed cast breakdown.
3. Scripts must be submitted via email as a Portable Document Format (.pdf) attachment to email@example.com. Include YPP in the subject.
4. Scripts should be formatted with page numbers in the footer and playwright name/email address in the header for all pages.
5. Font should be 12pt standard (Times New Roman) or equivalent.
6. No more than one script per person.
7. Finalists will be announced on or before Monday, April 29.
The submission of a script grants PlayGround the exclusive option to stage the play as part of the Young Playwrights Festival. As the playwright’s participation in the rehearsal process and performance is considered critical to PlayGround’s mission, the submission of a script is a direct acknowledgment by the playwright that he/she will attend the performance of their play should it be selected, barring unforeseen circumstances, and to the extent possible the rehearsal that afternoon. If you know in advance that you are unable to attend the festival performances, you must inform PlayGround of this at the time of submission. PlayGround will not consider scripts by playwrights so acknowledged prior to selection and reserves the right to replace any script selected by an author later determined as unable to attend.
Up to four finalists will be selected for the 2019 Young Playwrights Festival. Each finalist will receive a script- in-hand staged reading as a curtain raiser before a regularly scheduled performance of the Best of PlayGround Festival at Potrero Stage in San Francisco. Rehearsals will take place in the afternoon before the shows from 5 to 6:30pm for 8pm performances, and from 4 to 5:30pm for 7pm performances. A brief tech for each piece will follow. The performances will take place May 16th-18th at 8pm and May 19th at 7pm.
To view sample script formats, click the link(s) below.
For questions or more information, contact PlayGround Artistic Director Jim Kleinmann, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Young Playwrights Festival Performances:
Thursday, May 16th/8pm
Friday, May 17th/8pm
Saturday, May 18th/8pm
Sunday, May 19th/7pm
Happy writing and good luck!